|Pre-requisite knowledge:||Timeframe to complete:||Required materials:|
|This course does not require any pre-existing knowledge of planning or property development. it will provide guidance for a complete beginner and also sharpen the knowledge of someone more experienced.||9-13 hours. Completely online, start or stop any time you want and pick up where you left off.||Access to the internet. Multiple tabs will be required whilst completing this course|
URPEC’s Development Assessment Course will provide you with hands-on techniques and walk you through tools that are used in the field every day. It is focused on the Queensland Planning System but the general concepts and processes are largely the same all over Australia.
The course is broken down into ‘Lessons’ which include a number of ‘Topics’. Each lesson ends with an exam that applies the information you have just learnt into real-life circumstances.
What you will learn:
- A detailed look into what town planners do, why they are needed and how you can become a town planner
- The Local and State Planning Framework that controls town planning matters
- Step-by-step guides on how to use online tools such as Interactive Mapping systems, DAMS mapping, QLD Globe and more
- How to research and interpret planning schemes
- Types of applications and developments
- How to research what impact the Local and State Planning Framework will have on a prospective development. including how to research the Tables of Assessment, Assessment Benchmarks, Code compliance and more
- How to calculate a prospective yield
- How to accurately calculate infrastructure charges
- Preparation of Development Application’s (for example, how to write a Development Application, what supporting documentation might be needed, building a development assessment team and more)
- The Development Application process and timeframes
- How to identify when a referral is needed and how to make one
- Methods of negotiation and pressures that might be placed on you during the process
- How to prepare for and overcome key issues
- Decision notices – what they mean and what immediate appeal rights you have
- Post-approval changes
Who wrote this course?
This course is co-presented by Steffan Town Planning and written by their Director – Alexander Steffan. Alex has been a town planner and development consultant since 2005 and has gained approval for over 2000 developments throughout that time. He has worked on a range of developments from single carports right through to high-rise apartment developments, high-yielding subdivisions, and industrial/commercial uses. With a team of seven town planners based in East Brisbane, there almost isn’t a town planning issue that Alex or one of his team hasn’t encountered before.
To start this course, scroll down and click the first ‘Lesson’ below.
Any materials will be provided to you throughout the course.